A very, very busy evening in the kitchen!
I ended up trying out a new recipe and also using an old faithful to make a ton of food (and leftovers) for my parentals and myself. I love getting to bring a ton of food back to school after a weekend at home. First, let me share with you the new recipe for….*drumroll* Oriental Chicken Lettuce Wraps!!
I have been craving these since I first devoured some at P.F.Chang’s a few weeks ago. I did my best to find a good copycat recipe similar to how the restaurant prepares them. I mostly followed this recipe exactly – with only a couple exceptions – I left out the sesame oil, as it is near impossible to find in this area. I also doubled the amount of stir fry sauce. This recipe was so cheap and easy, since I already had most of the ingredients in the fridge.
3 tablespoons oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnut
2/3 cup mushroom
3 tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot mustard
2 teaspoons water
1 -2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
Stir Fry Sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
1. Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl.
2. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
3. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you’re ready to serve.
4. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
5. Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
6. Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
7. Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.
8. Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
9. Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
10. As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
11. Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
12. When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.
13. With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
14. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.
15. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce”cups”.
16. Top with”Special Sauce”.
These are quite possibly my new favorite snack. Even Dad enjoyed them, and normally this wouldn’t be his ideal meal.
Moving on, we had a ton of shrimp mom wanted used, and I also had leftover chicken from the mega-pack we bought on sale for the wraps. I decided to combine the two in my old faithful recipe of chicken and shrimp fettucini alfredo. I’d share the recipe, but honestly I do this one just based off of what looks right. 🙂
It feels great to be back in the kitchen again. I have a long break coming up soon, so hopefully I’ll be able to experiment a bit more.