Oh lordy, my hands are THROBBING! I’m pretty sure my crochet hooks are out to get me, or maybe my friends are. Unfortunately for me, my two best friends (both named Sarah) are experiencing major life changes in the coming months – one Sarah is tying the knot and the other Sarah is having a baby girl. Both their showers are a week apart in June, so I am desperately crocheting my fingers off. I’ve finished a lot of little projects for the baby, but I’m falling majorly behind on wedding gifts. To take a break from feeling like my hands are about to fall off though, I decided to share a few of the baby projects I’m working on. There are a lot more that need to be done, but -whew- I’ve at least made it this far.
The slippers originally started out as my first ever attempt at booties. If you couldn’t tell, it failed miserably, but I salvaged it into a somewhat acceptable pair of buttoned slippers. I’m not sure what it was, whether I just wasn’t reading the pattern correctly or the yarn wasn’t cooperating, but I could at least repeat the mistake twice to make a matching pair.
This is the first headband I’ve made to match the slippers. I’d still like to make another one with possibly turquoise and white flowers.
The headband is all double crochets 8 wide using I believe the 5.5mm hook.
The white flower:
chain 4, slip stitch to first chain to create your magic circle
chain 3 and slip stitch inside ring – repeat x4
slip stitch into first petal round, chain 3, 3 dc, chain 3, slip stitch into same petal round
slip stitch into next petal round, chain 3, 3 dc, chain 3, slip stitch into same petal round, repeat until you have five petals. slip stitch to close.
with regular needle and thread, sew button onto center of flower
with yarn needle connected to the tail of the white yarn, sew the flower onto the headband.
Here’s the baby sized version of my rose headband that you can find out how to do from my other post, Easy Crochet Headband w/ Flower. Still no booties to go with this one, as I have yet to figure out my mistake on the last pair. Hopefully, I’ll get the hang of booties soon.
Here’s the completed winter weight baby blanket made with chunky yarn. It’s so soft and warm, but took so much yarn to make! By the last few rounds, it was taking a whole skein just to get through one round. Therefore, I made it a little smaller than I would have liked.
Lastly, here’s a work still in progress. I started this summer weight blanket before we found out Sarah was having a girl, and I tried to make it gender neutral but still bright, fun colors. I really like the purple, turquoise, and white together, but it worries me she might not find it gender neutral enough. Oh well, it’s almost complete! I found a pattern for a crochet unicorn baby toy I’d like to do in these colors as well, but I doubt I’ll have time to squeeze that one in.
I guess it’s probably about time for some aspirin, compression gloves, and back to work for me. These gifts aren’t going to make themselves (but oh how I wish!)